Welcome to My Blog!

I've been diagnosed with a small labral tear and mixed Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI) in my right hip. This blog follows my efforts to do something about it.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Tempting Fate?

I have been very concerned with jinxing my progress by explaining how much better I'm doing, but I've decided to tempt fate and share it. 98% of my day I have no hip pain. That is HUGE!!!!! The other 2% of the time is when I stand up from a sitting position. And it doesn't happen all of the time. I'm still trying to figure out how to avoid the pain when I stand, because I assume it has something to do with the angle of my leg, hip, etc. But I feel like a completely different person than I felt when I started keeping this blog a couple of months ago.

Physical therapy is a gift from God. It has to be. I've been able to exercise pain-free, and I'm able to see just how strong I'm becoming. I have been increasing the intensity of the exercises (larger fins for resistance, increased number of squats, faster walking/running). And the water exercises have the added benefit of working my abs and arms also. That sense of accomplishment I got from running -- the pushing beyond my own mental and physical limits -- I'm getting that again, but in the water. And I'm even starting to enjoy the water. It's been hot here -- over 100 degrees each day this week. The water is a wonderful way to workout.

I'm still following Noell's 6-week eating plan (http://pickorstab.blogspot.com/) and I'm not really sure how many inches I've lost or how many pounds, but my clothes are getting very loose. I'm wearing a shirt today that I haven't worn in years (literally). Same with my pants. I even bought a new pencil skirt 3 weeks ago that was quite form-fitting, and I wore it yesterday and it was baggy in places. So, I assume that the reduced weight is helping relieve the pressure I'm putting on my hips also. 

I still haven't really resumed much activity beyond the pool-based, so that's my next challenge. Can I maintain this level of comfort and reincorporate some of the other activities I so dearly want to do -- bike, pilates, walk, yoga? I won't tempt the fates with running. I'm sad about that. There's a Keith Urban song, Till Summer Comes Around, and he's basically frozen in this place where he had a perfect summer love and hopes she'll return each year...she doesn't. He can't leave. I kind of feel like that's me and running. I fell in love, head-over-heals, and (due to my hip), running has said goodbye. I'm still wishing for it turn return to me, to give me the clarity of mind, the release of my over-busy head, the sense of accomplishment, etc. But I think I need to come to terms with the lost love and learn to love again. I'm seeing some shimmer of hope for a long-term relationship with the water.

I still don't know whether or not I'm going to end up requiring surgery. I know that the exercises I'm doing are not actually fixing my labral tear or FAI. They are just allowing me to function with minimal pain. I have a real concern that by not fixing the real underlying cause, I'm just postponing the inevitable, and when I do ultimately get the surgery, I'll have frayed more of my labrum, and caused much more damage to the joint. That is what is driving me to still meet with Dr. P and hopefully gain some more perspective. But at a minimum, I know that losing weight and strengthening my body is the best thing I can do pre-op anyway.

The rest is out of my hands. There isn't anything that this world can throw at me that I can't find a way to endure and of all of the possible things, this truly isn't that bad. Am I tempting fate? Maybe.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe I missed it...do you have an appt in CO? Are you still waiting? It sounds like things are going great. Keep doing what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope no appt in CO (though from what I've seen from pics, it looks like a lovely place to live). I'm still waiting to meet with Dr. P -- in December! Once the appointment gets confirmed, I'll book my flight out there, but until then...I'll keep up the PT and hopefully stay on a roll.

    ReplyDelete