Welcome to My Blog!

I've been diagnosed with a small labral tear and mixed Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI) in my right hip. This blog follows my efforts to do something about it.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Feels like dessert

Physical Therapy this morning was mostly familiar this morning, with a few key distinctions. 1) I got to work out in the middle of the deep end, tethered to the wall so I wouldn't float all over the pool, 2) I got to work with ankle fins for additional resistence, and 3) I got to experience dessert! No, they didn't feed me. No, I didn't burn enough calories to actually justify dessert. BUT, when I was finished with all of the PT exercises, Jenn strapped some weights around my ankles, gave me additional floatation devices, and send me to relax in the deep end. She said I had earned some dessert. Now, back in the day when I actually used ankle weights for working out, probably the last word I'd use to describe them was dessert. BUT, in the water where my top half is kept afloat and my bottom half is pulling down, it gave me the most marvelous stretch and opened the hip joints. I got to hang out like that for 10 minutes! Initially my muscles in my butt and thigh were trying to hold on tight and were tense figuring out what was going on. But I finally relaxed into the stretch and it felt soooo good. I just wanted to stay like that all day. Sadly, I couldn't. The transition to gravity was dramatic, just like it was on Wednesday, but a little less jarring because I was expecting it. Since PT, my hip has been a little twingy, but no severe pain. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment