Welcome to My Blog!

I've been diagnosed with a small labral tear and mixed Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI) in my right hip. This blog follows my efforts to do something about it.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

And a set-back

My enthusiasm may have been a bit too early....

This evening, I bent over to get something out of a bag that was on the floor, and when I went to stand upright again, I got the sudden sharp, excruciating pain in my hips. It was actually much worse in my "good" hip (the left one), but it was definitely present in both and I had to hold onto a chair for support. It went away within a few seconds.

This is the first of that degree of pain I've had now in about a week and a half. I'm so disappointed. But it may have been the angle that I was using, or maybe it was the fact that I stiffened when I was sitting for a while before that. Maybe it was the angle I was sitting on the couch. Maybe it was the fact that I worked out harder than I have in a few months. Maybe it's the fact that I have a torn labrum and FAI.

It's now been 2 weeks and I still haven't heard from the scheduler at Dr. Philippon's office. I fear that although the PT may help, I'll ultimately need the surgery and I certainly want to move ahead so I'm able to pursue that option. I guess I'll call the office tomorrow if I don't hear from them by mid-day.

Why can't things be easy and straight forward?

1 comment:

  1. aaargh. I'm sorry to hear about the pain :( But I'm glad it went away this morning. I found that pre-surgery my pain level really came and went. It is frustrating! For me, the decision to have surgery took some time - I had to get to the point where I knew that I could not function at the level I wanted to without pain. It was a ski trip with my brother - which left me in significant pain for a week that pushed me over the edge. I didn't want to give up skiing forever - and at that point it seemed obvious. It is awesome you are doing the water p.t. and coming up wtih creative ideas and ways to stay strong and fit and hopefully avoid pain. I hope the setbacks are fewer and fewer, and that whatever decision you make feels right. You can only know if you try!
    v

    ReplyDelete