Welcome to My Blog!

I've been diagnosed with a small labral tear and mixed Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI) in my right hip. This blog follows my efforts to do something about it.

Monday, August 2, 2010

Prescription PT

I decided to try Dr. Klapper's suggestion and do a water-based physical therapy program. I met with the physical therapist last week for the initial evaluation where she put my legs through a variety of strength and range of motion tests. Not quite surprising was the fact that my right leg was weaker and had less range than my left in nearly every aspect. I was given 5 land-based stretch/strength exercises to do on a daily basis. I am finding that, if I do the exercises correctly, they're challenging. If I cheat and use other muscles than the intended ones to accomplish the result, they become very easy. That tells me that I've really been compensating for some muscle deficiencies (but they're still there).

I've been watching what I've been eating with particular care this past week. I had been seeing a nutritionist who gave me guidelines to a healthy diet (which I had been getting increasingly less careful following), until last week, where I coupled my nutritionist's advice with a 6-week challenge, courtesy of Noell (http://pickorstab.blogspot.com/), whose challenge essentially mirrors the advice I've been given from my nutritionist! With the combined burst of motivation from the challenge, and some helpful accountability from my nutritionist, my sister and my hubby, I lost 4 pounds last week! And (maybe coincidentally), I haven't had much true hip pain this week. Only a few twinges. The discomfort I have felt this week has been entirely muscular -- things are so tight, especially my IT band.  But the muscle pain is actually much preferable to the joint pain because that means there is something I can do to make it better! I believe that PT will help me strengthen and lengthen the muscles around my hip (and hopefully all over). 

I'm so ready to start my pool-based therapy, but my first in-pool session isn't until Wednesday. Grr. But, in the meantime, in addition to my land-based exercises, I went swimming on Saturday for 20 minutes. The public pool was packed for a swim meet, so I ended up driving to the gym and using the pool there. But that pool didn't have any pull buoys, so I had to constantly remind myself to take it easy with the excessive kicking. But I didn't remember not to squat and kick off of the sides of the pool, so about 18 minutes in, I realized that I probably did more damage from that repetitive motion than I did from any kicking of water. Darn. But I got an incredible massage that evening to help loosen the muscles in my butt and hip and outer thigh and I think it helped a lot.

I feel really good today. Not just because my hip is not hurting (though it doesn't feel quite normal), but I have a lot of energy and I'm just excited. I don't know why I'm excited, but I think it's the first time in a while I truly feel hope. I also feel fear of feeling hope, but that's not really productive, now, is it!?!

I think that my biggest challenge this month will be sticking to what I'm instructed to do, and not overdoing it and pushing it. I walked my dogs yesterday, and it was a relatively short walk (though the first I've done in a while). I felt good and I wanted to keep going and thankfully, Noah reminded me that I should stop when I feel good, not when my hip is throbbing. So I did. And today, I feel like I can do it again. Maybe I'll add on another minute or two. But I don't seem to be good at self-moderation. Hence, my injury in the first place.

But I have a new healthy admiration of the human body. And I want to treat it with the respect it deserves and not treat it like a trash can I can throw whatever junk I want into and expect it to run properly. I have this amazing vessel I've been given in which I can explore and experience this life. And, in a weird way, I'm grateful for the hip injury. It is the only thing in my life that has really given me pause to truly think about the body I've been given, not as simply a superficial how-do-I-look kind of thing, but as a gift. Had I not injured my hip, I may still be running right now. But I'd otherwise be continuing down the same unhealthy lifestyle. I have a feeling that, for the long run, my hip pain may have been the wake-up call that saved my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment