Welcome to My Blog!

I've been diagnosed with a small labral tear and mixed Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI) in my right hip. This blog follows my efforts to do something about it.

Friday, October 22, 2010

HUGE decision

I've made a very big decision. I cancelled my appointment with Dr. P. 

Am I insane? Possibly. But I came to a couple of important realizations:
  • I'm feeling really good. So good, in fact, that the risks of surgery far outweigh the pain I've got currently and have had for a few months now.
  • The diagnostic injection would inform me that I have some muscular imbalances, tears, etc. My amazing chiropractor has been helping target those muscles and I've already been working on the muscular issues I have. That is probably a huge reason why I've been feeling so much better.
  • I would like to have children at some point. I realize that pregnancy could exacerbate FAI. But I am losing weight so that hopefully if and when that time comes, my weight won't increase beyond what it was at my heaviest. Also, the surgery, recovery and then strains of pregnancy present several more unknowns and risks and I'd prefer for my hips to shift and do whatever they're going to do before trying to correct the underlying bone structure.
  • This is still a relatively uncommon procedure, and they're still learning more about it and getting better at it. Who knows what they'll discover within the next 5, 10 years.
  • I am leading an active life right now without running. I miss running, but I'm loving the other activities I've integrated into my routine. I don't feel deprived, nor willing to undergo the risks of surgery for the sake of running, especially given how good I feel. (Of course, I don't plan to run because I don't want to tear the labrum anymore).
  • If I'm not going to act on the information I receive, then I'm simply getting info to satisfy my curiosity. That's not worth the high expense of seeing an out-of-state doctor and undergoing expensive tests. At least not now.
I'm well aware that I may be postponing the inevitable. Without fixing the underlying bone structure, I assume that the muscle imbalances, strains, etc., will continue to bother me.  And of course, surgery could go perfectly and I could have a speedy recovery.

But I don't like risks and I would like to try everything I can before going down that route. I still have plenty of non-invasive options if what's working for me now ultimately isn't sufficient. I thought about writing that doing nothing can be harder than acting...but that's not what I feel like I'm doing.  I am doing a lot.  I'm using yoga, pilates, gyrotonic, gyrokinesis and physical therapy exercises from the pool to increase my flexibility, lengthen the muscles and strengthen my body (especially my hips). I'm swimming, ellipticalling, walking and occasionally biking to increase my cardiovascular health. I have deep tissue massage and electro-whatever-it-is that my chiropractor uses to lengthen the muscles and fix the tears. I am avoiding high impact exercises to prevent additional tears. I'm writing to help me emotionally deal with the frustrations of managing an injury. I'm working with a nutritionist to help carefully and healthfully lose weight. I'm actually doing a lot.

And for now, at least, it's enough :-)

3 comments:

  1. So glad you're feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet - I pretty much came to the same conclusion you did regarding my hip labrum. I am still pretty active, just that I do not do much high impact exercises anymore.

    I have people leave comments on my blog about how much surgery help them and how I should consider surgery. But when I google other people's stories, not everyone has a happy post-surgery story and most of the time the hip pain does not go away completely.

    I also know that I might have to do something more drastic with my hip in the future (maybe surgery?), but for all I know, it could be 20 years into the future. good luck on your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the decision Janet - I think if you can manage and live happily wtihout surgery - it is always the best thing. Surgery's no guarantee that's for sure. I hope it just continues to improve!

    ReplyDelete