Welcome to My Blog!

I've been diagnosed with a small labral tear and mixed Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI) in my right hip. This blog follows my efforts to do something about it.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Paradigm Shift

Last night I experienced somewhat of a paradigm shift in how I've been looking at my hip issue.

Until now, I've been trying to exhaust my options of things I can do on my own to heal my hips (or at least the parts that I can heal, such as the muscle tightness and the strength imbalances) so that if and when I need to undergo surgery, I'll be in a good place mentally and physically. I know that, if I undergo surgery, I'll have a long recovery process, but I anticipate that (unless something goes wrong) I'll eventually be "healed." This way of thinking has been frustrating me because I am feeling increasingly frustrated with the pain and waiting around for it to go away. After all, I've been doing so much!

So a wise person asked me, what if there is no "end" to the hip pain? What if I think about "managing" the pain rather than erasing it?

My first reaction was to reject this idea completely. Of course. Why else would I even think about surgery unless I believed that I wouldn't be forever doomed to have hip pain.

But, I thought it through a bit more. From what I've read, it seems like even in "successful" surgeries, there can be some residual weakness and pain that will require physical therapy, stretching, or some other way to keep strong and limber. And not all surgical patients end up pain-free. It's my understanding that doctors consider the surgery a success if the pain goes from a 10 to a 3. So if I were that patient, I'd still be in the position of having to manage the pain long-term.

A life filled with yoga, gyrotonic, swimming, biking, stretching...all to stay strong, increase joint mobility and reduce pain. Is that really so bad? Would I really even want to give that all up if I woke up and found myself "fixed"?  (Granted, I'd really love to add the running to that list, and I'm hoping I'll be able to add that back into my routine at some point.)

The best part about thinking about pain management instead of pain elimination is that I instantly stopped waiting for the day when I'm healed, but rather, gained a measure of peace in knowing that I'm making a difference on a daily basis.

I'm definitely not ready to throw in the towel on the possibility that the surgical route could correct the underlying issue that is causing my muscles to be all out of whack. But I'm also not ready to throw in the towel and say I've done everything I can do to manage the pain and I'm ready for someone else to fix me. I am going to focus on whatever pain management I can do now, and cross the surgery bridge if and when I get there. I've realized that the activities I'm doing so that I can manage my existing pain are also going to help me prevent pain from developing in other areas of my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment