Welcome to My Blog!

I've been diagnosed with a small labral tear and mixed Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI) in my right hip. This blog follows my efforts to do something about it.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

A nice surprise

My car battery died while I was at the office yesterday. That was annoying, but AAA came and jump-started the highly corroded battery. They wanted to sell me a new battery for 3x its value. I declined. They told me to run the car for 10 minutes. I drove home to grab a bite to eat, and left the car running for 15 minutes. But that wasn't enough time, apparently.  When I tried to leave, it was dead again. 

So rather than calling AAA again, I called the dealer around the corner and asked them how much a new battery   and installation would be. Again, too much. So I called my husband who agreed to pick up a new battery on his way home, and I dusted off the ol' bike. I haven't ridden it in several months and the tires both needed air. But I did that, and rode it back to work. 

That horrid pain in my left leg went away! My right hip felt open. What an unexpected surprise! Granted, the ride wasn't too far (1.5 miles). But to put it into perspective, this is only the second bike I've ever owned and it's a basic mountain bike from REI. My first bike was the one I rode as a child, no gears, no hand brakes, etc. So I'm not exactly a proficient biker. Figuring out how to put air in the tires, thus, was something of an accomplishment for me! 

So I drove the bike home and also had no pain. I woke up this morning with some serious soreness where my butt met the seat. I know they make padded shorts for biking, but seriously -- either I'm doing something wrong in how I ride, or true bike-riders must literally have buns of steel. But other than that soreness, I feel great today. 

What a great surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment