Welcome to My Blog!

I've been diagnosed with a small labral tear and mixed Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI) in my right hip. This blog follows my efforts to do something about it.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Outside My Window

My office is located right next to a park and the view from my window includes a grassy area where people take their dogs, two little league baseball diamonds, and a portion of a dirt track that circles the park. I've got two trees that hummingbirds enjoy visiting, and a small window sill where small finches come to leave dropping and peck my window. And in moments like this one -- where I turn my head and see a Yellow Jacket trying to come through -- I'm actually relieved that the window does not open.

The window (and its associated view) is what I love most about my office, and also, what frustrates me about it.  I love seeing so many active people on the track. In the morning, I see small groups of people performing "boot camp" workouts. As a dog person, I enjoy seeing the variety of excited furry four-legged visitors. My view of the baseball diamonds isn't good enough for me to truly enjoy watching any games, but I feel like there's a world of constant motion outside of my window, and that always makes me smile. I love the colors (primarily browns and greens), but I also love the way the sun's angle subtly changes those colors. And I love watching people run -- noticing the variants in form, expression, speed, companionship, etc.

But it's also easy for me to now see the track as a reminder of what I'm no longer able to do...and of what I wish I had done more...did I hurt my hip because I ran on asphalt and concrete most of the time? If only I had trained here on this softer ground, would I still be running this evening? It's so easy to second guess and let myself feel sorry for myself. But it's sort of silly and self-centered of me. I'm so blessed. Today, I saw two hummingbirds hovering only a few feet away from me. I'm looking at a beautiful blue sky and branches blowing softly in the wind. I live an easy drive from some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. And I WILL get back out there and enjoy it all. If I can't run, I'll walk. If I can't walk, I'll learn to ride.

And I'll use that track as my symbol of where I've been and of what I aspire to do.

A view through my window

No comments:

Post a Comment