Welcome to My Blog!

I've been diagnosed with a small labral tear and mixed Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI) in my right hip. This blog follows my efforts to do something about it.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hassles of Gathering Medical Records

I'm currently in the process of obtaining copies of all of my medical records from the various doctors and physical therapist I've seen about my hip. So far, I've got most of the documents and all of my images (conveniently on disk).  But I wish I had simply asked for copies each time I visited each doctor. Then I wouldn't be running around the city, picking up documents, and returning for the ones they inadvertently forgot to include. One of the reasons I'm attempting to collect these materials is because I need to copy them and send them to Dr. Philippon in CO, but the main reason I figured I should have copies is that this is my hip. Years from now, who knows what further issues I'll have in either hip. But I can count on myself to keep all of my documentation for comparison purposes and general history.  I don't know how easy these materials will be to get 10, 15 years down the road.

Yesterday was brutal. The pain was so severe I could barely concentrate on anything else. Today, thankfully, it seems much more manageable. Each time I stand, it hurts, and I've noticed I'm limping slightly. I spoke with my mother-in-law, who recommended that I don't put off treatment because even though I might not realize it, I'm probably making adjustments in response to the hip.  Those adjustments might wear away or result in injuries to other body parts, such as my knees. That's a scary thought. But it makes a whole lot of sense.

I'm picking up a book at the library today on water therapy and pool exercises that should be hip friendly. I'm not a huge fan of swimming (I find it somewhat boring), but given the importance of staying strong and healthy, I'm willing to give it a shot. Particularly if it can help this awful pain dissipate.

I don't know how people live with chronic pain. And so many people do. How do they function? How can they put up with it? I don't know if I'm especially wussy, or if other people are exceptionally strong. I must have broken down into tears three separate times yesterday. And I truly believe my tear is a minor one. I don't know how I'm going to deal with this pain for the immediate future, much less however long it takes me to get the surgery and recover. But I suppose I can only take one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment